• Just like the import regulations for motor vehicles,the official recognition of foreign driving permitsstrongly depends on your country of origin.
  • A license from an EU member state is equivalent to a German one. If you have a permit from a non-EU member state, you also have to consider how long you are planning to stay in Germany.
  • If you stay in Germany for six to twelve months, you have to get an extension for your international permit from the local Driver’s License Department (Führerscheinstelle) after six months. Don’t forget to bring an official translation of your foreign permit and proof of your intended departure (e.g. a flight ticket).
  • If you intend to stay for fewer than six months, you can go on using your foreign license.
  • Again, a German driving license isn’t necessary.If you stay for longer than twelve months, you do need a German driving license after all.